John Eells wrote:
>Setting up an FTP server or NFS server is not required to get software
>from DVD to z/OS. A plain vanilla FTP client such as the one that comes
>with Windows, along with the FTP server built into z/OS Communications
>Server are all you need.

I'm afraid a setup task is required, somewhere. z/OS's FTP server is
also...a FTP server. :-)

SMP/E RECEIVE FROMNETWORK is nice, and it can use FTP, with z/OS as the
client to any FTP server (containing the software products, directly from
DVDs if desired). Optional, but nice. And for the paranoid types, it's
still nice. But sure, you can "pull" or "push," as you prefer. You have
choices, lots of them. ("Push" can require more intermediate storage, if
that's a concern.)

Yet another RECEIVE FROMNETWORK protocol option is HTTP(S), by the way. So
you can configure your machine-cum-DVD-drive to run any standard HTTP(S)
server software, such as the Apache HTTP Server or NGINX, and with that Web
server configured to read directly from DVD. That works, too.

Edward, you're apparently confused. :-) I'd just organize a call between
your paranoids and IBM, with "your friendly IBM representative" doing the
organizing. "Operators are standing by." But the bottom line is that your
paranoids can still cling to their physical media delivery (DVD) if they
wish, and they have any choice(s) they wish about exactly where they put
that machine-cum-DVD-drive and how they configure it -- and what
machine-cum-DVD-drive they use. (It could even be the HMC, if they wish.
Apparently.) As long as z/OS can reach that media reading machine via FTP,
NFS, or HTTP(S), that's fine. (HTTP/HTTPS is "pull" only. The other two
protocol options are "pull" or "push," as preferred.)

Heck, they could even attach that machine-cum-DVD-drive using a crossover
1000BASE-T Ethernet cable plugged directly into one of the OSAExpress
1000BASE-T ports on the mainframe, if they wish. With that cable protected
by Mission Impossible-style lasers and pressure sensors. Now that's a
private network!

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com