From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2018 9:33 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any C++ regex template class gotchas?

On 9/04/2018 7:55 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
> David -
>
> Thanks for everything. I guess I will PMR it. As pointed out in another
> thread, the PMR process is painful. It does me little good because I can't
> ship a product that requires some obscure PTF -- the sales team would kill me.

I feel your pain.

> Nah, the tr1 doesn't bother me. It's like having to code those pesky
> semicolons or those pesky double equal signs. It is what it is. My Visual
> Studio accepts but does not require the tr1:: for regex. I use Visual Assist
> and it tends to autocomplete these things for me anyway, so it is little
> trouble.
>
> I used namespace when I started out in C++ but then decided I was collapsing
> the name space. I would rather have to code std:: every time than to have
> some weird problem caused by an unexpected symbol name duplication.

Me too. I avoid usings like "using namespace std". The using I posted brings
the tr1 namespace into std so I can use std::regex and not std::tr1::regex. I
don't use visual studio and clang and g++ require including special headers
like <tr1/regex> which I would rather not do.

> I use auto sometimes but tend not to think to use it except in template
> functions and that sort of thing.

auto has moved on significantly since C++14 and C++17 and you can now define a
function with an auto return value. It's also important for lambda's.
Especially useful for iterators so you don't have to code something like
std::unsorted_map<int, std::string>::iterator or use typedefs.