On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 12:29:21 -0400, Phil Smith III  wrote:

>Doesn't actually need the space, of course, though my personal style would
>use it for readability. It's just a trailing comma that makes it
>continuation. From Rexx's perspective:

Don't the blank lines ...

>rc = function(arg1,,
>          /* here */
>arg2)
>
>is identical to:
>
>rc = function(arg1,        ,
>          /* here */
>arg2)
>
>Personally, I use a space after a comma, and one before a continuation
>comma:
>
>rc = function(arg1, arg2, ,
>          /* here */
>arg3)

... terminate the instructions, resulting in syntax errors?  If I need vertical
whitespace within an instruction for legibility, I either put commas on such
lines for continuation or embed them in multi-line comments:

either:
rc = function(arg1, arg2, ,
 ,
arg3)

or:
rc = function(arg1, arg2, , /*
*/
arg3)

>I find this makes it easier to distinguish the arguments when reading, and
>easy to find continued lines (by looking for "space comma space"). YMMV.

I do likewise.

-- gil