Google and Twitter workloads quite likely do not have the same integrity
expectations/requirements as workloads running on z systems.  This may be part
of the explanation.  In addition, my observations are limited to IBM Z systems
which are 'mainframe' systems, and the subject of this discussion list.  The
benchmark cited appeared to be running on a high-end Dell system.

Another possibility might be the true object-oriented nature of the language
that may not mesh well with a non-OO workload.  For example, I have seen
several implementations which had to incorporate an OO-relational layer to
bridge the differences between OO processing and relationally conforming data.
There was substantial overhead associated with the care maintenance of that
data layer.

Based on my experience and personal observations, I would not recommend
replacing a high volume performance critical system written in an extremely low
overhead 2nd generation language with system largely written in JAVA, certainly
not without doing a serious pilot project first.  I would feel far more
comfortable recommending C/C++ as a replacement.

This is appears to be an older IBM document
(https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27013550&aid=7  I could not
find a date), but it contains the following statement...   " Will a TPF Java
program be as efficient as an assembler program or even C? Of course not, but
consider..."

Hope the above helps explain my perspective.