Somewhere, maybe in a different branch of this topic, there was a
discussion about the pros and cons of replacing Assembler with Java.  I
apologize for posting here if it's the wrong place, but I can't seem to
find the original discussion, and I have a question that seems relevant and
important, IMHO.

That's said, I can answer the question, for C/C++, as follows.  (I pose the
question for Java, below.)

*With the *nix/C record and string models, there are these issues:*

   1. Errant/unexpected/unintended pieces of binary data in a text
   file/string can break something.
   2. Separate functions/methods/techniques must be used to manipulate text
   files/strings versus binary files/string. You *must* know what you are
   dealing with up front, and/or somehow code logic for both. (I'm not sure
   the latter is possible in the general case.)
   3. Even with *nix/C oriented machine instructions, the need to inspect
   all characters up to a target point results in performance killing cache
   flooding.
   4. C++ does garbage collection resulting in "pauses" in forward
   progress, and working set, caching, and CPU spikes, among other things.

Let's call these attributes fragility, productivity, and efficiency,
respectively, for the convenience convenience.  C has issue with these
characteristics.

As most of the readers here know, mainframe style records and strings do
not suffer from these limitation.  When the length of a string/record is
known external to the data contents, you can manipulate any platform-native
data in z/OS, z/VM without it breaking due to something in the data, you
write the same code regardless of what you are dealing with, and, less
obviously, any activity that skips a cache can avoid a cache line promotion
saving processor resources.

So, my "burning" question for Java is, which, if any, of these above issues
(data fragility, coding productivity, efficiency, and garbage collections)
does Java share with C/C++.

If Java suffers from all or most of the issues, then I would say replacing
Assembler with Java is pretty much out of the question.  On the other hand,
if Java suffers few or none of the above issues, it might be viable to
replace Assembler with Java (ignoring other issues, like cost, testing,
compatibility, data porting, etc.)

To sum up:  Does Java use a similar record/string model to that of C/C++,
and does it do garbage collection similarly.

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.

OREXXMan
JCL is the buggy whip of 21st century computing.
We want Pipelines in the z/OS base.