>>... and whether or not there is a text string *after* that numeric part. It
>>is the trigger to activate the automatic daylight saving time handling. No
>>string, no DST handling.

>Do you refer to the [[startdate[/starttime],enddate[/endtime]] optional
>portion of the TZ specification at the below URL?

No, I was referring to below listed statement found in the description of TZ in
the z/OS UNIX Command Reference:

TZ
[daylight]
The abbreviation for your local daylight saving time zone. If the daylight
field is missing, the conversion to daylight saving time is disabled.

So, with TZ=MEZ-1, the date command (and other services returning time data)
will *not* add one hour during the daylight saving period (end of March to end
of October in Europe).

With TZ=MEZ-1MESZ, it will. However, without the additional information you
referred to, it will assuem the period is according to US rules (I think). So,
for Europe you will need both, the string (MESZ) and the start and end date of
the DST period (M3.5.0,M10.5.0)

I will send an RCF, because the description in the named book does not mention
what happens when start/end of period is *not* specified.

--
Peter Hunkeler