From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IEFA107I when pointing to dataset alias

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2018 15:22:22 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
> >That was my point; if you need it at IPL time and it's cataloged in a
> user catalog, you need an explicit volume serial.
> >
> I'm (slowly) coming to grasp that.  At IPL time, the CAS is not
> initialized and
> user catalogs can not be searched.  So data sets needed during IPL must
> either
> be catalogued in the master cat or accessed by explicit volume serial.
>
> But in the case that impacted me many years ago, I wanted both the alias
> and
> the related DSN in different user cats.  I didn't need either during IPL
> (not my
> job) and in user cats they couldn't be accessed during IPL.  It still
> disconcerts me
> that after CAS initialization a user cat can't be searched for the alias
> and the HLQ
> of that alias could not identify a possibly different user cat to search
> for the
> related DSN.
>
> (Ih another case I would have found it useful to have an alias of an
> alias.  That,
> also, should be supported.)
>
> --gil

​This is disconcerting to me too. But I can envision what might be
happening. The logic to me would be something like:

1) Find catalog in which A.B.C exists according to the standard search order
2) Read entry for A.B.C in that catalog​.
3) If alias, find the base related-to entry in the catalog.

This reminds me a bit of BPAM. Suppose you have member A, but not B, in
PDS1. Now suppose you have B in PDS2 as an alias to A (in PDS2). If you ask
for member B then you get A in PDS2, not the PDS1 version. Granted, I don't
think that BPAM actually uses the A entry in PDS2 for anything when you
reference B, but I can easily be wrong. I'm speaking conceptually. The way
you & I want it to work is like a UNIX symlink (which can traverse to
another filesystem), but it is working more like a hard link (which cannot
span filesystems).

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown