On Wed, 9 May 2018 06:23:42 -0500, Steve Horein wrote:

>On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 6:33 AM, Peter Relson wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I believe you. The code that was shown was assembler. Regardless, being an
>> exec still means that the choice was made not to use an intended
>> programming interface.
>> </snip>
>
>If a data area is described with "Programming Interface Information" and
>then referenced via Rexx STORAGE calls, is that considered a choice to not
>use an intended programming interface?
MVC is "an intended programming interface".  A carelessly authorized
program can do a lot of damage with MVC.

>I am an automation administrator with regrettably zero assembler
>programming skills, and tend to use such Rexx calls to alleviate the
>painful process of MVS command output parsing to get information, if
>available, when I can.

Might one use fork() (BPX1FRK, SYSCALL fork, ...) to run unvetted Rexx
code such as IPLINFO safely unauthorized in a separate address space,
returning results via a pipe or socket to an authorized caller?

(Is IPLINFO free of the constraints of TSO?)

-- gil