I've already written a utility program which is designed to run as a UNIX
command, mainly interactively from a UNIX shell, but it works from TSO
OSHELL and in batch via BPXBATCH or Co:Z launcher just fine. So, from a
"practical" viewpoint the following is not really necessary.

But I am considering making a "version 2.0" which will run "natively" in
the various environments. In particular, the environments I envision are:

1) batch - directly from an EXEC PGM=UTILITY
2) REXX via IRXJCL - "pure" non-TSO REXX
3) native IKJEFT01 - a true TSO CP (getline/putline with TSO CP command
parameters)
4) REXX under IKJEFT01 - a TSO REXEC environment
5) native UNIX - a UNIX command via a shell
​6) REXX under UNIX - program invoked with a UNIX shell script written in
REXX​

Have I missed some other "normal" (not CICS, DB2 stored proc, IMS, etc)
z/OS environment. In a REXX environment (#s 2, 4, & 6) I plan to have a
"STEM varname." type option such as with EXECIO. In all environments, the
default output would be to the normal output (in batch, I consider
//SYSPRINT to be the "normal" place for program output)

First, I will grant that, other than the REXX STEM option, I can
effectively do all the options other than #1 already in a "sideways" sort
of way by just using the current UNIX command via BPXBATCH (OSHELL uses
this under the covers).

--
Rap music is performed by those that can not sing so others can not think.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown