On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:07:48 -0400, Hobart Spitz wrote:

>I'm not sure whether you are asking for help, reporting a problem in a
>sample, or offering a solution.
>
>Since you haven't said which line failed, I'm just be guessing.
>
>I think you need to quote StdErr. .  That should allow you to turn NOVALUE
>back on.  I prefer to use it most of the time also.

The OP apparently understands this:
        On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:53:36 -0500, Bruce Hewson wrote
>Note the quoted stem names.  This is required.
But he didn't follow his own advice in the example he posted:

>  cmd="sort"
>
>  call bpxwunix cmd,"unsorted_data.","sorted_data.",stderr.

>My typical NOVALUE handler looks like this:
I don't code a handler.  If NOVALUE is caught I consider it a coding
error and fix the code.  It might be a typo spelling a symbol.  How
would I recover from that?

-- gil