Andrew Rowley wrote:

>> to this one (clear out the SYSIN - at least for IDCAMS SYSIN and place it in
>> a JCL comment):
>> //* DELETE KVPO.MOST.DB2DATA.&LVL4..&PART..TRS
>> //SYSIN DD *,SYMBOLS=(JCLONLY,X)
>> SET MAXCC = 0

>Unfortunately that may not work because the symbols in SYSIN are not
>substituted the same way as in the regular JCL. I have been playing around
>with them and my conclusion is that the whole feature seems to have been badly
>thought out.

Thanks for this reminder. I remember that I also discovered that substition is
not always correct, but I was too busy to follow it up.

>If IBM had omitted some features, e.g. system symbols on the execution system
>and instead substituted the symbols at the same time as the symbols in the
>rest of the JCL, they would have lost maybe 10% of the usefulness but
>decreased the astonishment by 90%.

Which brings another question - I am just curious - Where are the Symbols
resolved? At the submitting LPAR or at the Executing LPAR? Or is the '/*JOBPARM
SYSAFF=<LPAR>' used to determine the LPAR where the Symbols are to be
resolved/substituted?

I am asking, because there are Symbols unique for a LPAR, like this:

D SYMBOLS
IEA007I STATIC SYSTEM SYMBOL VALUES
 &SYSALVL.          = "2"
 &SYSCLONE.         = "C4"       <--- Unique per LPAR
 &SYSNAME.          = "????"     <--- Unique per LPAR

If that is documented, I must missed it somewhere ...

Sorry for this topic drift, but ... ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht