From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: 03 July 2018 21:39
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX as JCL replacement

ATTENTION! This email originated outside of DTCC; exercise caution.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 15:39:40 -0400, Tony Thigpen wrote:

>PARSE SOURCE on VSE returns:
>VSE COMMAND TESTREXX PROC IPLLIB.VSE2PDF1.TESTREXX.PROC TESTREXX VSE
>VSE ?

So it would be practical to multipath for compatibility.

>VSE does not have pipelines.

z/OS barely has Pipelines.  An obsolete version.  And hard to order.

For more than you want to know about Rexx (in)compatibility, see Dave Alcocks
http://planetmvs.com/rexxanywhere/index.html

OK.  Thanks. Comparing z/VSE and Z/OS ADDRESS environments, I see:

           z/VSE                                     z/OS

Ref.    SC33-6642-10                              SA32-0972-30

LINK    Like JCL EXEC or Assembler Call           I think this is a relic of
CMS calling
        with only one argument.                   conventions.  I've never used
it.

LINKPGM Like Assembler CALL with multiple         Like Assembler CALL; length
halfwords not
        arguments; length halfwords generated     generated automatically.
        automatically.

LINKMVS n/a                                       Like Assembler CALL with
multiple
                                                  arguments; length halfwords
generated
                                                  automatically.  (This seems
to be
                                                  z/VSE's LINKPGM.)

-- gil

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The
viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.