On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM Jack J. Woehr <j...@well.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2018 11:00 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> > JCL has numerous restrictions and inconsistencies due to antiquity,
>
> IBM i supports Cobol. Come on down :)

​A few years ago, the IBMi was under consideration to replace our, very
old, IBMz. I got some documentation on it. I was _extremely_ impressed.
Now, for a "hard coded" system _programmer_, it is death. Because there
simply is not much to do. Basically apply maintenance and parameters. No
real programming, except perhaps some type of utility. ILE COBOL looks
good. Well, as good as any COBOL looks to me {grin}. I love the fact that
the basic filesystem is really a relational database. So you can not only
access it as if it were a "keyed" file (like VSAM KSDS) but also as SQL
database like DB2. ​They also have PACE, which is the "POSIX compliant"
portion, which is "hooked onto" the IBMi like "Unix System Services" is
"hooked onto" the historic z/OS system. There is an email group for it too.
The people there are also fantastically helpful. I posted that we were
looking into the IBMi and one person sent me about 5 books on it -- at HIS
expense! I was "knocked on my butt".

--
There is no such thing as the Cloud. It is just somebody else’s computer.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown