Hi Peter,

The documentation for GETE warns: "Note: Processing of the ESD records returned
by a GETE call should not make assumptions about the order of the returned ESD
records..."  The expectation was that there would never be a very large number
of classes, so that a simple class lookup (as it sounds like you've done) would
be acceptable.

Yeah that's been the problem with MODMAP.  In general for this sort of thing
you should be creating the workmod (CREATEW) with INTENT=ACCESS and doing the
INCLUDE with ATTRIB=Y to preserve things.  That is what is done for both
IEBCOPY (between PDS & PDSE) and UNIX cp/mv (from UNIX filesystem to dataset).
I presume you are doing that, otherwise you would need to rebind (BINDW) prior
to using GETE.

Unfortunately that's the problem, the use of MODMAP changes the module
structure, and using INTENT=BIND, thus requiring a BINDW call before doing
GETE, can potentially change the module organization (i.e. change locations of
items).

Barry