On 7/13/2018 9:07 PM, ewatson...@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>
The idea of merging and then going back and deleting the unwanted
entries seems like it might be tedious and error prone.

o How important are the FEATURE and PRODUCT entries? If I didn’t
bother to create them will I lose any SMP/E functionality?

I don't want to qualify how important this is or not, but without the FEATURE and PRODUCT entries, SMP/E, z/OSMF Software Management, and future software inventory reports (produced by GIMXSID) won't know that you have COBOL 5.2 installed. Therefore future Shopz product orders won't pre-populate the order checklist with COBOL.

o Am I incorrect in my assumption that deleting the unwanted entries
may be problematic?

My personal opinion is that deleting unwanted stuff is no big deal. In fact since you'll use GZONEMERGE FORFMID there really won't be all that much, if anything, to delete. That is, you'll only be merging SYSMOD, HOLDDATA, PRODUCT, and FEATURE entries associated with the FMID(s) you specify.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development