As the owner of the TSO/E plan at the time, I was stunned when SHARE told us this was the top priority for TSO/E. We pushed back. We said "what about longer IDs that map into the 7-character namespace instead"? "What about these other TSO/E requirements"? But those who maintained this was #1 stood firm, dissents outside IBM seemed few and far between, and we ultimately did it. The kicker was, if I recall correctly, recurrent audit exceptions from those whose security policies require user IDs of eight or more characters.

That the change had so little fallout is actually a testament to the effectiveness of our change notification process to IBM development and other software vendors. (This change set a new record for affected components, as it happens, shattering the old one by a factor of at least two and perhas has high as four.)