From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 12:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Data placement through analytics.

John Benik wrote:

>I am trying to find a way to use either Tapewise or Tape Mount Monitor to
>determine the best media to store the tape data on.  In other words I would
>like to be able to look at some reports and be able to state that this data
>should be on disk and not tape.  The tool we are using currently works for
>disk to tape determination but not tape to disk.  If anybody has any ideas on
>how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

A question please: Is there something in HSM and SMS (management class) you're
missing to determine the placement of datasets?

We generally use age, backup requirements and frequency of usage to determine
where datasets are placed on disk and 'tape' (actually VTS cartridges).

What are your goals to determine what media do you want to use? Do you have a
'Tape management system'?

Disclaimer - I never used Tapewise at all. I have used Tape mount monitor years
ago while being a storage admin, but discarded/dropped it eventually.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht