NOTE: I'm not a Zowe developer, but I sit near some of them at Rocket
and have some understanding of its structure via osmosis. :-) This
should not be considered "authoritative."

There are several pieces to Zowe:

* A web client (code that runs in the browser: HTML, CSS and
  JavaScript). This is, as I understand it, all open source. Since it
  runs in the browser, there's not much choice. :-)

* A node.js server that provides some services itself (including
  serving the web content to the browser) and proxies to other
  services. This can run on z/OS or on other platforms. Since it's
  mostly just a proxy server, there are a bunch of other "back end"
  servers it can talk to:

  * A z/OS server that provides some of the "native" z/OS services.
  * The standard z/OS TN3270 portal (to provide 3270 emulation support).
  * The standard z/OS telnet portal (for USS native logins).
  * REST services provided by ZOSMF or anything else.

The web client code is designed to allow new components to be easily
plugged-in; those components can use REST or WebSockets to talk to
whatever backend pieces they need. The slick part is the "virtual
desktop" in which these plug-ins live.

Because Zowe includes a TN3270 client, it doesn't in any sense
prohibit access to traditional TSO/ISPF services. Similarly, it
provides a "VT" client, so it can talk to USS, as well. Each of
these is just a window on the virtual desktop.

Plug-ins can be either open or closed source, especially on the
server side.

It's pretty nifty. :-)