Do you have a record layout of what the resulting file should be?
I.E. Fixed length fields?
I would look for short binary lengths at the start of the record, then
blank trimmed fields after that.  Would need to copy field by field
the number of bytes in the length field.
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 5:34 PM Mark Waterbury
<000001c3f560aac1-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> I recently was given a tape image of a tape made on VM/370 circa 1977 or so
> ... and looking at the tape image with AWSBrowse it looks "similar to" a CMS
> TAPE DUMP or VMFPLC2 DUMP ... but it's not ...
> It has similar looking headers for each file, but instead of fixed length
> records, it has variable length records for many (but not all) of the files
> on the tape ...
> I recall hearing of a program used back in the day to cram more data onto a
> single 9-track reel, called BLKTAPE ...
> Does anyone have a copy of that old program or know where to find it?
> Perhaps I can give it a try to see if it can process this tape.
> Thanks in advance.
> Mark S. Waterbury

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA