There have probably been some discussions in the Archives on this topic.  There
is no Template for Backup process.  Each Shop is unique.  How it is handled or
performed in each shop is a variation.

Basically it depends on what reason you are doing the backups

1)  Is it for DR (Disaster Recovery)
2)  Is it for Legal requirements
3)  Is it for Audit requirements
4)  Is it for BC (Business Continuity)

Each one has a different flavor for backups and how they are handled.

Lizette