On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:26:55 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>As Gil has mentioned more than once, the z/OS failure to support and use the
>IANA Timezone package and database is the issue here.
>
>Using the IANA Timezone database would solve all of his issues and many others
>and be a plus for z/OS Unix conforming to widely used and rspected standards
>as well.

Alas, not quite.  POSIX is the fly in the ointment by simultaneously
requiring UTC and prohibiting leap seconds, a logical impossibility.
My favorite absurdity:
    http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/xrat/V4_xbd_chap04.html
    ... it is inappropriate to require that a time represented as seconds since
the Epoch
    precisely represent the number of seconds between the referenced time and
the Epoch.

In hindsight, if I had been emperor of the IT universe those decades ago,
I would have chosen UT1 rather than UTC.  More practical and, in a sense,
more predictable.

>Can you answer the question of WHY the IANA Timezone database is not supported
>as part of base z/OS Unix?

-- gil