From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: In this case, I wish the US would follow the EU (no more DST)

It think that's the key point.  Standard time is great for communication
and coordination, but it shouldn't control our lives.  I hope the people
in western China aren't forced to get up in the middle of the night for
work, and try to get to sleep an hour before sunset just because Beijing
dictated a single time zone.

If one was living where the clock corresponded fairly closely to the
sun, it seems that logically you'd generally want to go to bed at 20:00
and get up at 04:00. I suppose some do, but it's difficult the way our
society is structured.  As far as working hours go, I'd like to see a
lot more flexibility and variety. Having everyone working the same 8-5
causes immense waste of time and resources just due to traffic.

Regardless, nobody reacts well to a sudden shift of an hour.  I presume
dairy farmers who don't like getting kicked in the head do not impose
these on their cows.

sas