From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David W Noon
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 4:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there an API to a "storage dump line" formatting routine?

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:34:29 -0400, Tom Conley
(pinnc...@rochester.rr.com) wrote about "Re: Is there an API to a
"storage dump line" formatting routine?" (in
<21fc8189-7c87-a2a3-31ea-3b5acb769...@rochester.rr.com>):

> On 9/21/2018 2:15 PM, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
[snip]>> Standard system storage dumps (SYSUDUMP, SNAP/SNAPX, etc.) format
>> storage displays like this in a 121-character line:
>>
>> 36B219C0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000    00000000 00000000
>> 00000000 00000000   *................................*
[snip]
> You could call IPCS to display the storage you want.
Under the covers, IPCS is really just AMDPRDMP. There is likely a
subroutine inside AMDPRDMP that formats the print line. Whether that
subroutine is  callable from another program is an open question: it
might have an external symbol in the link map of AMDPRDMP that one can
alias, but then again it might not.

I am not sure what Peter's original message was about, in terms of
objective. I assume he wants to be able to format a dump of storage from
inside a program.

If such a program is written in PL/I, one can use the HEXIMAGE() and
TRANSLATE() built-in functions to build the hexadecimal digits and
dots/characters, with the the asterisks and spaces easily inserted.
There is even a PLIDUMP() built-in subroutine that can dump areas
directly, just like a SNAP macro. If for some reason one cannot use
PL/I, that is not of much use.

Since PL/I uses LE for much of its run-time support, there is likely a
CEEDUMP() subroutine one can use from other languages: RTFM!

attachments from your system.