On 10/8/2018 4:29 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:
Good day to all,

I see these restrictions for Edit Recovery Datasets from "z/OS ISPF Planning and
Customizing" (z/OS v2.2):

<quote>

These restrictions apply to edit recovery data sets:

     They must be allocated as sequential data sets of record format U.
     They cannot be striped, or striped and compressed data sets.
     They cannot be multivolume data sets.

<end-quote>

One of my Storage Admin guys changed (to resolve an unrelated problem) the
default SMS Data class to have 'DATA SET NAME TYPE' as EXTENDED and other new
attributes resulting in that the ISPF Recovery datasets are 'striped'.

Which means that I see 'Recovery suspended-error' in an ISPF Edit session and a
long description what was wrong.

I also see this: IGD17070I DATASET ?.ISP7195.BACKUP ALLOCATED SUCCESSFULLY WITH
1 STRIPE(S).
  ... then a IGD101I followed by IGD105I where it was deleted immediately.

That change was reversed eventually because of the allocation error, but it may
be needed to re-apply the new changes in the Data class.

Question:

Where can I change the allocation behaviour of ISPF to force another Dataclass
to be selected? I already looked at ISPCCONFIG, but there is nothing about
selecting right SMS class(es).

If that is not possible, is it Ok to rather create a Data Class rule where
<?>.ISP*.BACKUP datasets are assigned to another dataclass? Or are there better
solutions?

Many thanks in advance.

If you really want to default everything to striped, then you need to create a DATACLAS and the appropriate ACS routine code to ensure that the recovery datasets are correct.

Regards,
Tom Conley