On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 22:16:16 +0000, Steely.Mark  wrote:

>I have a JCL Check product that uses an EDIT Macro to check the JCL. This EDIT
>Macro has been copied under different member names through the years. The
>customers uses whatever  process was provided when hired.

What language?  Assembler, PL/I, CLIST, Rexx, other (specify)?

>The question is can I call another edit macro within another edit macro.
>
>Ex.   JJ1 JJ2 JJ3 are all exactly the same.
>How can I leave JJ1 alone and have JJ2 & JJ3 call  JJ1.
>
>The manuals were not very informative.
>
>I tried EXEC 'aaa.aaa.aaa(JJ1)'    Cant exec an edit macro that way.

If Rexx, you can use CALL or a function reference, but JJ1 must use
PARSE ARG X rather than ADDRESS XEDIT MACRO (X).

>I really don't want to use PDS ALIAS technique.

You will need either to change JJ1 to use PARSE or use aliases.  I have written
eclectic code that tries MACRO, then falls back to PARSE on failure.

Hmmm.   If JJ2 and JJ3 address no EDIT commands before CALL JJ1, the
MACRO command may work as desired.

-- gil