That is not an uncommon sort of thought process and/or outcome. It's
unfortunate but it is human nature.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jesse 1 Robinson
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Application change for ISAM effects wasRe: SORT not behaving
consistently

I believe the switch was made before the app went into production, so CPU
comparisons would have been speculative. The master file was ISAM because it
was too early in mainframe evolution to take advantage of VSAM support in
COBOL.

Years later at another shop I investigated converting an ISAM application to
VSAM, a remarkable trick to hugely improve performance with no programming
changes. The app was run on contract for an outside governmental entity. I
still shake my head at the outcome. VSAM conversion was nixed by my management
because--as the contract was written--we would have collected less revenue from
the owner in view of huge performance gains. Wow.