From today's lunch discussion:

When our 3590's need an action, they display 8 characters. Normally, the volid is positions 2-7. We normally see 'K' (keep) or 'M' (mount) in the first position, but we don't know if other characters are show in this position. We also don't know the meanings of position 8.

Is there some manual that documents all the possible messages that z/OS sends to the drive? And for bonus points, do all the different tape managers, such as RMM, CA1 and Zara use the same standard?

--
Tony Thigpen