Agreed RE: "SHA-1 not secure".   The security concerns with the use of
SHA-1 relate to long-term hashes of security credentials like X.509
certificates.  If you just want a decent checksum and aren't worried about
the *very* unlikely possibility of the same hash for two different
documents, then there's no issue.    There's always that risk with any
hash, but SHA-1 has some crypto weaknesses in being able to *engineer* such
a collision.

Here's an amusing article from last year.  The headline is utterly
misleading, and doesn't mention that it  "It took nine quintillion SHA-1
computations" :-)
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3173616/security/the-sha1-hash-function-is-now-completely-unsafe.html

What's really sad is how many "security experts" are now running around
saying that SHA-1 is unsafe for things like checksums on encrypted ssh
packets.  They don't know / care anything about the context, or the
difference between hmac-sha1 and basic sha-1.

ICSF OWH is one way to do it, but for performance critical code you can do
it cheaper if you drop down and just use the CPACF instructions for SHA1,
SHA2, etc.  With z14s, CPACF really screams and  it turns out that SHA-2 is
only a little slower than SHA-1.    (ICSF uses CPACF for these too, but can
add overhead that is significant to some applications).   ICSF OWH can also
require SAF/RACF permissions, which is silly and annoying.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> you can use the z/OSMF Files and Datasets REST API to retrieve a file
or dataset and also get a hash.   On the response is an "ETag" header which
has a hash.    It is opaque as far as specification, but if you look at it
you can probably guess what it is.   It wouldn't be good to assume that it
is anything other than an opaque "checksum" string.   The purpose of this
in the API is pretty cool:  you can request the same file again and pass it
the previous ETag and you will get a response that indicates that the file
has not been changed, without having to transmit it to you again.     Note:
This may be of little use if your purpose is to have some other software
calculate and match to it, since you really don't know it is calculated.