On 2018-11-29 4:28 AM, Lizette Koehler wrote:
Logrec is not only preformatted, but it is a wrap around datasets.

So it (LOGREC) always knows where the last record was written in the file.

If it gets to the point of overlaying the data, I think an IFC message is
produced to let you know you are about to lose data.

When IFCDIP00 is used to initialize SYS1.LOGREC, it writes 2 40-byte records (also blocks since RECFM=U), the first containing the CCHH range of the data set and the CCHHR of the 90% full mark and the next CCHHR to be used for a new record. The second record is what I call (rightly or wrongly) the "3 minute currency record" which I've observed gets updated every 3 minutes or so with a new current timestamp.

When the LOGREC data set gets to 90% full message IFB080E is issued.

When the LOGREC data set becomes full message IFB082I is issued.

You can offload the contents and make the data set available for more data by running IFCEREP1 (with the appropriate control inputs), or you can throw the data away and reinitialize LOGREC with IFCDIP00.

If you really want to know how full it is in a reasonably convenient fashion then you can write a program to read the first record and calculate and report the fullness, or get a program which already does this. One such program is the public domain data set browser called REVIEW which will format and display some summary data from each LOGREC record when the LOGREC data set is browsed and EREP ON is specified.

Cheers,
Greg P.