Peter,

Exactly. I saw the responses after I read through the manual, just wanted
to make sure I understood
the process before thinking about a design. In theory, we would have
customer set the symbol and use the
Service to query it as you had indicated.

As always Peter, very much appreciated, and I learned someone again.

Regards,
Scott

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 10:15 AM Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> Has anyone created their own system symbol and then referenced it in HLASM
> ?
> </snip>
>
> Adding system symbols is not something that a program should be doing.
> IEASYMxx is the supported method for defining system symbols.
> SETLOAD IEASYM is the supported method for adding a system symbol after
> IPL.
>
> <snip>
> what I am not clear on is how to have HLASM code read the system symbol
> table and compare for the desired symbol.What i want to do is if we find a
> specific symbol set, have a exit perform conditional logic.
> </snip>
>
> You should not "read the system symbol table". If you want to see if a
> specific symbol is set, then you should use the ASASYMBM service to try to
> substitute a string that has that symbol in it and see if substitution
> occurred.
>
> This of course is very inefficient, and unless this will happen only once
> in the life of the system you would be better off doing this once,
> somewhere, and stashing the result so that subsequent times can get the
> result quickly.
>
> Peter Relson
> z/OS Core Technology Design

Scott Ford