On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 09:34:26 -0600, Jerry Callen wrote:

>From another thread:
>
>> Many of these techniques have been documented in the IBM Journal of Research
>> and Development.
>> Unfortunately, a few years ago IBM decided to hide that behind a paywall.
>
>This has always seemed to me like a colossal marketing failure. There is just
>no better showcase for IBM's technical chops than this publication.

I agree. The articles are still available for purchase through IEEE. Each
article costs 33 US dollars. Or you can join IEEE and get them for $14.95.
That's still pretty expensive, especially considering that there are usually
several articles that interest me in some issues of the Journal.

There is also a subscription available that allows "one simultaneous user" to
access unlimited articles for US$1450 per year or a "perpetual license" for
$2995. These are obviously institutional prices.

I wrote to IEEE to ask if there is a subscription available to individuals, and
the reply came back, "We do not have a subscription for the IBM Journals for
individuals, we only offer the institutional subscription."

Perhaps if IBM wants these publications to be available only to people who pay
for them, they could get IEEE to offer subscriptions to individuals. I would
pay a reasonable price for a subscription to this publication.

--
Tom Marchant