On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:59:26 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> But I read comments from Rexx programmers who yet insist that compound
>>symbols must have positive integer tails and the upper bound in the 0th
>>member.
>
>What is a "Rexx programmer"? It doesn't sound like they actually know REXX.

FOTRAN refugees?

>> Relying on PROCEDURE to reset ADDRESS, SIGNAL ON, etc.?
>
>Reset? AFAIK, the environment is intact after return. Or do you mean falling
>into a procedure statement, which I had assume was invalid.

I've seen such as:
    F: procedure
        ADDRESS ISREDIT
            [ ... code ... ]
        ADDRESS TSO
        RETURN

Or similarly inserting a needless ADDRESS after the call to F.

>> Using relational expressions as arithmetic terms?
>
>Perfectly reasonable if you're used to a language with bit or Boolean data
>types.

I'll confess to having replaced:
    if A==B then X = 'FooBar'; else X = ''
with:
    X = copies( 'FooBar', A==B )

I was misled because someone started the first ply of a changed subject with:
    Subject: Re: Unreadable ...

-- gil