On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 21:15:20 +0000, Seymour J Metz  wrote:

>> It's there, and other implementations of Rexx, such as Regina, struggle to
>> emulate it.
>
>All implementations of REXX provide a stack, but none of them even try to
>provide the stack mechanisms that TSO has and CLIST DATA/DATA PROMPT support.

I'd much prefer that Rexx provide instream data, with  symbol substitution,
as POSIX shell and even JCL do.

I eschew STACK with any command that provides STEM as an alternative.
I'm phobic that a rogue subroutine will corrupt my stack, or even DESBUF.

I applaud ADDRESS SYSCALL for relying on STEM, never (AFAIK?) STACK.

STACK is a crude circumvention for overly restrictive variable scoping.
CMS Piplines has YA chaotic circumvention.

-- gil