I suppose it depends on who has access to it.  That should be the 1st
constraint.  If it is something like CICS.. it may be a bit weirder.  You
can startup the gsksrvr trace which will trap any usage for the keys.  As
for whether they are in use.. it is somewhat "in the eye of the beholder".
A client or server can always choose to trust something even if it is
expired.. or doesn't match etc.

It also depends on what controls and where the certs and keys exist.  If
they are in RACF .. I think there are some newer controls to see when a
cert is used.  The RACF-L should have the details.

Rob Schramm

Rob Schramm