On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 19:20:43 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Yes. Specifically,  WITH input_redir [output_redir] [error_redir] .
>
>>  Pointless for CMS or TSO since the concept of standard input/standard
>> output is alien to each.
>
>Perhaps pointless for CMS, but the TSO stack has all of the necessary
>facilities. TSO commands do not normally BSAM/QSAM or TGET/TPUT for line mode
>terminal I/O, but use service routines.

Errrr ...:
    //STEP  EXEC  PGM=IKJEFT01 ...

(But am I overlooking your "normally"?)

The thing I find brilliant in UNIX design is (accidentally) implied by the
first three letters: a oneness.  Things work the same in foreground and batch.
There's no TGET versus LINEIN versus SYSTSIN versus SYSTERM versus SYSIN versus
There were few enough designers that that they could reach a consensus.

Maybe it's Brooks's fault for underrating timesharing.

-- gil