Random thoughts...

The fundamental issue is that email isn't the best way to handle online
group conversations.  Many better solutions have been offered, from NNTP,
Notes, Stack Exchange, Slash Dot, and Lord knows how many others.  SX is
extremely protective of their software, and for whatever reasons, none of
the general solutions ever seem to catch on.

Gmail does a pretty good job of managing this list for me.  It does
however, make it far to easy to regurgitate all previous messages as
in-line quoting.  I have gotten in the habit of trimming that (usually).

Automatic quoting of the previous message is practically evil.  Why we put
up with that is beyond my understanding.  No previous communication
technology did that.

sas