From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: z/OS V2R5 Will be the Last Release to Include JES3

On 2/28/2019 3:06 PM, Tony Harminc wrote:

> I'm not so sure... Is it not possible to run JES2 and JES3 at the same
> time on a z/OS image? Certainly you can run multiple JES2s. Yes, there
> are a few things that a secondary JES can't do, but I would think that
> would be the way to convert. Of course at some point you have to
> switch which is the primary JES, but is that really such a risk.
> Anyway, I'm not trying to minimize the effort or risk of a conversion;
> just not sure that it has to be Big Bang.

We run with JES2 as secondary under JES3. It's no panacea. Your approach will
work for a little while as you migrate your lowest-hanging fruit.
But, at some point you'll really need to bite the bullet and put up a new LPAR
that runs JES2 only. Once that's up, you can migrate your applications across,
one by one, from easiest to most-difficult.

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe