It may be a more common exposure than I would have predicted.  I've run into
clients who have general read access to a high-level qualifier, let's say
SYS2.**, which sounds reasonable because SYS2 has lots of CLIST, load and
proc libs that all users need.  But then they drop a lot of other things in
there too; maybe SYS2.CA.ACF.** has the ACF2 database, or there's a SYS2
library where they store certificate keys.  No one stopped to think,
apparently, about what could go wrong with this.

No one needs read access to the security database.  In Top Secret, for
example, if I issue a command to list a user or permit access to a dataset,
the TSS started task looks at my authority to take that action and then does
it on its own authority.  During an installation or migration I can create
temporary access for the guy who's doing the work, set to expire
automatically after an agreed period of time (a fortnight, a month,
whatever), but that's it.  You could make an exception for the storage
manager if you really want to, but the security products even have their own
backup facilities so there just isn't much need for anyone to have read
access to the security database.

In the Swedish hack, the original stolen ID had read access to the RACF
database.  The hackers downloaded the database, then applied a dictionary
attack to it at their leisure, thus getting thousands of passwords not only
in that LPAR but in another one visited by the same users.

---

/* Ye knowe ek that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh hem, and yit they spake hem so.
  -Geoffrey Chaucer, Troilus and Criseyde, Book 2, 22-25 */