You have not punched cards, until you've punched them in the original Klingon.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 11:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Take cover, it's a student programmer! | Computerworld Shark Tank

On Wed, 8 May 2019 15:39:49 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>I don't know where to begin, but it reads like buzzword bingo. How many of the
>errors can you spot?

(link de-cisco-ized):

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3393220/take-cover-it-s-a-student-programmer.html
    ... Those header cards are punched for four-way symmetry so they can run in
any direction,
    whether backwards or upside down. But they have so many punches that
they’re almost
    lacy in appearance. ...

Ummm ... 2-way symmetry (1<=>80) is easy; punch just 40 columns starting at
each end.
(12<=>9) harder in EBCDIC -- need to decode binary images (in an exit entered
for each card).  And if decoding binary, why punch the card symetrically -- let
software do it.

I once used a site where the job separator cards were brown stock with no
corner cut; easily spotted by the operator.  No symmetry; needed to be
correctly oriented with the vendor's EOF code in column 1.

Visual inspection by the operator may have had an adverse consequence.  I once
got punched output with *one* card punched in wrong orientation.  Best
explanation:
That card was backward in the hopper and so punched.  Operator separating jobs
noticed the wrong corner cut and "fixed" it.  I fixed it further by duplicating
it in correct orientation on a keypunch.

I once made an 81-column card by making minuscule adjustments at the punch
station.  Reader read 80 columns (FSVO) correctly and ignored the 81st with no
error indication.

-- gil

DISCLAIMER: This email and any attachments may contain confidential information
that is intended solely for use by the intended recipient(s). If you are not
the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying,
distributing or using any of the information contained in the communication. If
you received this email in error, please contact the sender by reply email and
immediately delete the communication.