I found many security and system programmers assuming that in order to
manage security, one need access to the security database.I many
assessments I was able to copy the file with no problem. While this
assumption is completely untrue, many of you make use of (at least one)
racf administration product that directly read the racf database, so you
need to have read access to use it. all products built around this product
also requires at least read access. In some cases, when I recommended to
switch to "server" mode, the vendor said that not all products support
that.

So, even if you have ROAUDIT attribute you got read access to the racf db.
and this is a security and audit product!

ITschak

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:16 PM Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> To answer the OP question, Yes, assuming
>
> - The perp has the ability to run some sort of volume backup, such as
> authority to the volume and to run a volume backup program.
> - The ability to copy the backup off of the system, such as with FTP,
> access
> to a physical tape drive, or downloading to a PC and converting to some
> sort
> of format accessible to item 3 below.
> - Access to a "friendly" system, such as Hercules, on which the perp has
> the
> ability to restore the backup. Any RACF-type restrictions on access to the
> database would not persist onto this system.
>
> Charles

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **|  *