On 5/14/19 7:08 AM, Tom Marchant wrote:
Mildly?

Yes, "mildly" is the word that I wanted to use.  I explained why I chose it.

You can leave out the parenthetical "significantly". z machines can take a hard failure of a CP and a spare is switched in dynamically to take over the work. The unit of work that was running on that processor is moved to the new processor without interruption. There is a brief pause while it is switched, but the workload is not impacted. The operating system does not have to do anything to make this happen. It is done entirely in hardware. The failed processor can even be running critical operating system functions. It makes no difference.

Said "brief pause" qualifies as a non-significant impact to me. Hence the workload was impacted while it was moved from one CP to another.

Sure, detecting a potential failure situation and responding to that should be relatively trivial.

That's the big difference, isn't it?

Yes, it is a difference. What you said did not indicate to me that the CPU had faulted. Rather I took what you said to mean that the CPU had a cooling problem. That does not mean that the CPU is failed to me. Is it usable as is? No. Is it spewing errors, shorting something, otherwise adversely impacting the rest of the system? No.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

--