On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:18:57 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Possible, but there are some discrepancies.
>
> 1. Why would he write a program instead of using an IBM utility?

I did that once on a 1401 where there was no IBM utility.  It was to print
a CDC tape with idiosyncratic blocking.  I shared it with Ops, who immediately
cherished it because it printed a page count at end-of-job, needed for supplies
chargeback.

The only alternative format CDC supported was one block per line.

> 2. Have you ever seen an EAM shop that didn't have an 80-80 board already
> wired?

-- gil