We've upgraded DASD subsystems several times over the years. As I whined
several months ago, the process is complicated here by a chronic over-supply of
smallish volumes that need to be replicated to the new hardware one way or
another. (Consolidating smaller volumes into larger 3390x units would solve the
problem, but that would be hugely disruptive to applications; a very hard
sell.)

This upgrade required moving thousands of 3390 volumes to new unit addresses in
the new subsystem, which mandated IPLing with a new IODF. We had earlier done
this with a subset of DASD dedicated to sandbox and development, so we had a
few LPARs that did not need to be changed again. These unaffected LPARs were
all located on one CEC, but we had a second CEC whose LPARs were all affected
by the change.

So following the procedure outlined by Mike below, we copied all (remaining)
volumes via PPRC. We then had to IPL all affected LPARs with a new IODF. On the
CEC with unaffected LPARs, we ACTIVATEd the new IODF via OS command. On the
other CEC, however, where we had no unaffected LPARs, we had to POR to get the
new IODF into HSA before IPLing.

This sounds complicated, but it was all planned and orchestrated over several
months. The big-bang cutover itself lasted only a few hours. DR DASD was
resynched within another few hours, so we had minimal exposure to data center
failure. Most of the heavy lifting was performed by my colleagues, who deserve
*huge* credit for conceiving and executing the plan.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company