From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 9:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is there any way to convert RECFM=U to RECFM=V with a utility or
script?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 00:31:31 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>Finally got my mount issue straightened out and got to try your suggestion.
>IDCAMS REPRO gave errors trying to copy to the Unix output file, but IEBGENER
>worked just fine.
>
>This did not work:
>
>//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
>//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
>//INP      DD DISP=SHR,DSN=weird.recfmu.file,
>//            RECFM=U,LRECL=222,BLKSIZE=222
>//OUT      DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
>//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(KEEP,DELETE),
>//            PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT)
>//SYSIN    DD *
>  REPRO INFILE(INP) OUTFILE(OUT) REUSE
>//
My experience is that IDCAMS requires DCB information on both INP and OUT.
It will not copy as IEBGENER does.  However, it will convert the format if the
information is available.

>IEBGENER with similar JCL works though:
>
>//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
>//SYSUT1   DD DISP=SHR,DSN= weird.recfmu.file,
>//            RECFM=U,LRECL=222,BLKSIZE=222
>//SYSUT2   DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
>//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(KEEP,DELETE),
>//            PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT)
>//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
>//*
>//STEP0200 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
>//SYSUT1   DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
>//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(DELETE,KEEP),
>//            PATHOPTS=(ORDONLY),
>//            RECFM=V,BLKSIZE=254
>//SYSUT2   DD  DISP=(NEW,CATLG,CATLG),
>//             DSN=not.weird.vb.copy,
>//             UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(20,20),RLSE),
>//             DSORG=PS,RECFM=VB,LRECL=254,BLKSIZE=0
>//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
>//*
What happens if you coalesce the steps and omit the UNIX temp file?

I wonder where it gets LRECL for STEP0200 SYSUT1?

attachments from your system.