From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Use of "trap" facility in z/OS?

This is purely speculation, but I like what I've read about the "trap"
facility. I think it is too bad that z/OS doesn't support the use of TRAP2,
TRAP4, as well as the compare-and-trap and load-and-trap. I agree that they are
not _necessary_ since the code can do basically the same thing. The only reason
that I even bring it up is that the paper "IBM Z / LinuxONE System Processor
Optimization Primer" by C. Kevin Shum on page 51 "Optimization - Instruction
Selection (1)" recommends using "compare-and-trap" where practical, in
particular, for null-pointer checking.

Perhaps I should have waited for Friday to post this since it is only wishful
thinking.

attachments from your system.