On Jun 28, 2019, at 9:27 AM, John McKown
<john.archie.mck...@gmail.com<mailto:john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>> wrote:

This is just for discussion. I am seemingly one of few z/OS sysprogs (et
al.) who view UNIX services as just another set of tools in the box, along
with the "legacy" z/OS tools. E.g. I am just as willing to use "awk" for
something as REXX. But I've noticed that many, my manager included, who
basically avoid any programming other than REXX, and then only "TSO" REXX.
Even when I use UNIX for an "ad hoc" report for myself, my manager is
"unhappy" with it and asks why I don't just use REXX. Why don't I? Well,
for one thing, I like and use Extended Regular Expressions. Oh, wait, those
are evil too. It's just mildly irritating to be shackled to "how I do it".
It's the same attitude that the CIO has -- he doesn't understand z/OS,
doesn't want to learn z/OS, and so z/OS must be eliminated for efficiency
reasons.

Well, I’m with you on using Unix tools wherever appropriate. I’m currently
moving a bunch of 30+ year old assembler code to Unix directories so I can use
git to manage it.

I’m fortunate that the management that was in place when I was hired here
explicitly looked for candidates that were willing to learn new things, and
despite the efforts of subsequent generations of management that ethos hasn’t
completely disappeared.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu<mailto:curtis....@austin.utexas.edu>