From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Gibney, Dave
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Determine level of fragmentation in VTOCIX?

Is there a way to determine if and how much a VTOCIX is fragmented. Way back
when (when disk wasn't quite so cheap), we standardized on parking the
VTOCIX in the 14 tracks left in the 1st cylinder, and for a Mod-3, VTOC of
105 tracks (7CYL) immediately following, and usually a 2 CYL VVDS right
after that. Most of my SMS managed application disks still follow this. And
it worked well for many years.

But, during high volumes of SMTP activity, I have begun to get:

IEC603I VTOC ERRORS MAY EXIST ON C465,PPRD22,8,027
IEC331I 042-002(0812041B),SMTP    ,SMTP    ,RNAM,IGG0CLH2
IEC331I VOL,PPRD22,NAME,SMTP.CONN257.NOTE IGD17003I PERMANENT I/O ERROR ON
VOLUME PPRD22 139 FOR DATA SET SMTP.CONN257.NOTE HISTORIC RETURN CODE IS 8
DADSM DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS 0812041B IGD306I UNEXPECTED ERROR DURING
IGGDAR02 PROCESSING 140 RETURN CODE 8 REASON CODE 27 THE MODULE THAT
DETECTED THE ERROR IS IGDVTSDA SMS MODULE TRACE BACK - VTSDA VTSCU VTSCT
VTSRN SSIRT SYMPTOM RECORD CREATED, PROBLEM ID IS IGD00898 IEC614I RENAME
FAILED - RC 008, DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS (0812041B),
141
SMTP,PPRD22,SMTP.CONN257.NOTE
EZA5544E Unable to RENAME file SMTP.CONN257.NOTE to SMTP.A0258454.NOTE
rc=408
EZA5568E UNABLE TO ALLOCATE ADDRBLOK DATA SET CORRECTLY

SMTP is playing a dataset rename game - SMTP.TEMP.NOTE to SMTP.CONNnnn.NOTE
(a 3 character length increase)

SMTP then kindly sends a blank email to the recipient which then gets
reported as suspicious :)

I don't remember how we reached the numbers we used, but looking at the info
the ICKDSF manual, the 14 track index should be large enough for the 5250
datasets possible with a 105 track VTOC. I an wondering if I can REFORMAT
REFVTOC EXTINDEX(14) and get refreshed, unfragmented VTOCIX.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN