Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw wrote, re platform-specificity:

>Why do you think this is platform specific? The AES encryption keys

>involved can be managed by an external key manager, (such as EKMF) and

>so those keys can be securely deployed to other (secured) platforms. The

>encrypted data can be read and then be sent to another platform and

>decrypted using the original encryption keys.

>Maybe I have misunderstood what you mean by "platform-specific".

Yeah, ok, I wasn't clear for sure. Sure, external keys being available across
platforms is possible, if not common; but more significantly, consider normal
data flows: data moves between ASCII and EBCDIC worlds, gets translated in the
process. With whole-file, non-format-preserving encryption, that means you have
to decrypt, translate, re-encrypt; with format-preserving, you don't have to
add anything to that flow. That's a big win when adding encryption to existing
systems. For a new system, of course, you'd design it differently.