Phil Smith III wrote:
>I feel that IBM inadvertently caused the confusion by calling
>the data set encryption "PE" at first: the fact that this
>thread refers to it as such actually supports that, no?

You've made this assertion a couple times now, and it's not actually true
as far as I can tell. IBM announced z/OS Data Set Encryption on February
21, 2017, in the z/OS 2.3 preview announcement. Refer to IBM Announcement
Letters 217-085.

Even if you believe IBM caused some confusion -- I cannot find much
evidence in the historical record of official IBM communications, but if
that's what you believe -- that's certainly NOT a reason to add any more.
I've asked you to help reduce terminology confusion, not to increase it.
Thanks.

>>Obviously IBM is not opposed to application-level encryption!
>>It's right there, at the top of the pyramid. Shouldn't you be
>>happy with that?
>I have seen that. I'm happy that IBM says that; I'd be happier
>if z/OS Data Set Encryption wasn't being touted as providing
>much more protection than it actually does. Doing so is not
>helping customers or IBM.

OK, I think that's pretty ridiculous.

We (the world) could wait at least a couple decades before application
developers finish adding application-level encryption everywhere it's
needed, assuming they even do that well and correctly (competently, without
malice) and in a way that facilitates rapid progression to more secure
algorithms as cryptography advances (big assumptions). But have you
actually noticed what's going on in the real world? Substantial, real
progress that doesn't require application changes has strong merit.
Shouldn't this be obvious? The world cannot wait decades to rise to the
many security challenges.

I don't know anybody at IBM (or elsewhere, for that matter) claiming that
z/OS Data Set Encryption is the *only* security-related capability that
customers should adopt. The "pyramid" certainly doesn't say that, and it's
a popular diagram by now. But it is quite important, and turning it on
doesn't require application changes.

We had a similar dialog in 2017 (or thereabouts), and you had the same
basic complaint as I recall. But I really don't know why you cannot point
to the "pyramid" -- happily so! -- and promote your particular product if
it has value to help add application-level encryption. "We solve this
part!" if that's what you do. What on earth is wrong with that? I don't get
it. Maybe you disagree with where particular customers are spending their
always finite resources first, but those are debates to have with your
prospective customers, surely and hopefully in a thoughtful, friendly way.
IBM, for its part, is clearly and repeatedly saying "application-level
encryption is important too." (Is the top of the "pyramid" a bad place?!?!)
How a particular customer prioritizes implementation of application-level
encryption, and where, is situational, of course.

My views are my own, as a reminder.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com