This question touches a nerve. In my very first job in IT, I was tasked to
(re)write a program that tabulated the contents of a large master file. The
idea was to examine each record and record its 'type' in a table. This was
1978. I was fresh out of programming school. Sort of starry eyed, I guess.

I found a manual with instruction timings and settled on the this sequence to
increment each bucket:

   L      R1,COUNTER
   LA   R1,1(,R1)
   ST    R1,COUNTER

I can tell you that the program ran like a bat out hell. I was an application
programmer trainee who heard from the sysprog staff that they used my program
to benchmark new hardware! After I had moved on to other opportunities, I
reflected on a huge oversight. In 1980--before the advent of XA--this logic
would fail utterly beyond 16M records in any bucket. I never heard what
happened, but I came to believe that outright speed was the wrong metric. Be
careful to set the right goal.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson